Monday, February 15, 2010

You've Got to Pray

"The proper way for man to pray," said Deacon Lemuel Keyes, "and the only proper attitude, is down upon his knees."
"No, I should say the way to pray," said Reverend Dr. Wise, "is standing straight with outstretched arms, and rapt and upturned eyes."
"Oh, no, no, no!" said Elder Slow, "Such posture is too proud; a man should pray with eyes fast closed, and head contritely bowed."
"It seems to me his hands should be austerely clasped in front. With both thumbs pointing toward the ground,"
Said Reverend Dr. Blunt. "Las' year I fell in Hodgkin's well head first," said Cyrus Brown."With both my heels a-stickin' up, my head a-pointin' down;"an' I made a prayer right then an' there...

"Cyrus Brown's Prayer" by Sam Walter Foss

"You've got to pray just to make it today" MC Hammer

Two good quotes. One about the "right" way to pray and the other about the importance of prayer in our lives. I've been thinking about a challenge for Lent. I'm not big on sacrifices so I like to come up with some sort of challenge to try for Lent. This year the challenge is going to be saying a prayer twice a day for the entire season of Lent. It doesn't matter when the prayer is, but it may be easier to pray just before you get up in the morning and then again right before you go to bed at night. It doesn't matter when you pray, just so that you do so.

I can hear some people resisting because they don't know the "right" way to pray. Well there is no right way to pray. It is just about your conversation with God. There is no right formula and no magic words that you can use. When I'm asked about praying all I say is to make sure that you thank God for your blessings (make sure your thanks outweigh your requests) and that you take time to listen for God's response. If all we do is talk then it is hard to hear the response. Don't let the thought of talking to God or Jesus intimidate you either. I had a chaplain supervisor tell me once to just pretend Jesus is sitting in a chair next to you and have a conversation with him just as you would a good friend there. Don't worry about doing it right...Just do it (as someone else says).

My challenge to myself will be to committ to pray twice a day during Lent, and hope that carries on past this season also. Will you accept the challenge and see how the power of prayer can change your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment