Monday, April 5, 2010

Christian Twitch

"I remember in an airport in Kansas City years ago, waiting for a plane, I fell into conversation with a fellow from the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands. He was in this county completing a monograph, a study on the influence of the conversation between doctors and nurses with the patient in surgery who is under anesthesia. His view was, in fact, that he had established it beyond all doubt. He found that if the doctors and nurses were negative and gripey and grumpy, then the patient in postoperative conditions was depressed and pessimistic. If the doctors and nurses were upbeat, happy, merry, and cheerful, then the patient in postoperative care was euphoric and optimistic and proceeded to recover quickly. The time came when I had to catch my plane. I thanked him for the conversation, and he said, 'Why, are you a doctor?' I said, 'Oh, no, I'm a preacher. But if it'll work in surgery, it'll work in the sanctuary.' So when I go somewhere to speak, and people are asleep, it doesn't' bother me, because I know that several days later they may get a little Christian twitch. They won't know what caused it, but I'll know.'
-Fred Craddock- Craddock Stories

I loved that story from Fred. Not that anyone would ever fall asleep during one of my sermons! I liked the story too because it reminds me that you never know when the Spirit can come into your life. That is why it is so important to be ever vigilant in your faith life. Find time to connect with God, because when you do you'll open yourself up to more and more experiences with the Spirit. The more time we spend in communion with God then the more ability we'll have to see the Spirit working in our lives and in the world. We'll get that twinge and know that it's the Spirit and not last nights burrito! If you want to be good at anything you have to practice at it. If you want your faith to be a bigger part of your life then you need to practice it. God is truly all around us. We just need to open our eyes and recognize.

No comments:

Post a Comment