Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Give it up

The season of Lent has arrived and it is time for that annual ritual of giving something up for 40 days. I've never been very good at doing this. My standard response is, "I've given up giving something up for Lent." I guess I've always thought of it as a waste of time and silly really, but I'm not so sure I can dismiss this ritual so easily any more.

Lent is about taking stock of your relationship with God (among other things). To me it is about focusing on what the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus means to me. How does the fact that the God that created everything sent his son to live and die change how I live my life? I know I need to reflect on my relationship with the Spirit more and I need to work on strengthening it, and Lent provides a kick in the pants to do so.

So this year I'm going to give something up for Lent. If you're going to give something up then it truly needs to be a sacrifice. It needs to be something that you are going to miss and you'll have a hard time going without. I know someone who always states he gives up Brussel Sprouts...I'm fairly certain I sense the sarcasm, but the point is it has to be difficult. I saw on Facebook that some people were giving up the internet from 7pm to 7am. I've also seen some people giving up Facebook and texting for a certain time during the day. I also know someone who is giving up Diet Coke, and that truly will be a sacrifice...in fact Coca Cola stock might fall from loss of sales! The point is whatever you give up has to be hard so it reminds us of the sacrifice that Jesus made on our behalf. Every time we choose not to have/do the thing we give up we are to be reminded of what this season is leading up to...Jesus' death and resurrection. So give up something and let it be a reminder of Jesus' sacrifice and how that should/does impact your life. I'm giving up the internet/computer/cell phone from 7pm to 7am. Should give me plenty of time to reflect...will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment