Monday, May 14, 2012

Tough Week

I was going to spend this blog whining about how busy I'm going to be this week.  I have 3 different sermons to write: baccalaureate, wedding and Sunday sermon.  The events happen in that order, so if you come to church on Sunday I'll either have a fantastic sermon because it will be my third try for a good one, or it'll be terrible because I've already used up my good one for the week.  So, instead of working one day this week I'm going to have to work 3!

I said I was going to complain, but I thought better of it...I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who like to complain about how tough their job is.  Two thoughts run through my head: at least your employed, and if you don't like it find a different job.  I know, I know those aren't very pastoral responses, and I know sometimes jobs really are horrible and changing them isn't a real viable option at the moment, but does whining about them help? 

Ok, that rant is off my chest.  As I was typing a thought occurred to me...is it easier to whine about our lot in life then do something about it?  Do we get some sort of enjoyment out of comparing our perceived troubles to others and coming out ahead?  How do you think God feels when we constantly complain to Him about our situation in life and just expect it to be fixed?  Whining doesn't get us anywhere with people or with God.  God will listen patiently, infinitely more patiently then family and friends, but God isn't going to just wave his hand and fix our trouble.  God never promised us an easy path through life.  God never promised us easy fixes to our problems.  What God did promise was to be with us always.  God is with us through the ups and the downs.  And, God works the best through us, and in order for that to happen we need to stop the pity party and look for ways God might be leading us.  So, no complaining about my horribly busy/exhausting week, just asking God for help and strength to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment