Monday, January 14, 2013

Assuming the worst

I don't know if any of you are like me or not, but when it comes to an uncertain outcome I usually assume the worst.  Does that sound familiar?  Last Thursday I had my first big exam in my EMT class.  The test consisted of 75 multiple guess questions.  Of course you can eliminate 2 answers fairly easily, and then you have to choose between the 2 remaining answers.  Well, a lot of the time both of the 2 remaining answers were "right", and you had to pick the best answer.  I just love questions that start with: "Choose the best answer."  Ugh!  Needless to say I completed the test and I felt pretty dumb.  Then the instructor says he isn't going to grade them until the next night.  Awesome, now I get a whole day to wonder how I did.
Well, wonder I did.  I didn't sleep good the night after the test because I kept thinking of questions and answers and if I got the answer right.  Then I'd wonder what happens if I fail the test?  Does that mean I'm not supposed to be in the class?  Will everyone laugh at me because I couldn't pass the EMT class?  Will Tracy divorce me because all she's ever wanted in life is to be married to an EMT?  Okay, so that last question never entered my mind, but the other ones did along with a few more.  I immediately jumped to the worst possible conclusion.  Why?  I had no real reason to.  I knew I got a couple questions wrong, but other then that I had done everything I could do to prepare for the test.  I could honestly say I could do no more to prepare.  So why did I assume the sky was falling?
I'm pretty good at assuming the worst when it comes to things I do sometimes.  I'm very good at helping others look at the bright side and keep their head up, but when it comes to me and my stuff I still tend to assume the worst.  I could us a radio personality's theory on life: he doesn't want to be an optimist because then when good things happen you aren't happy because you expected it, and when bad things happen you're crushed.  He'd rather go through life as a pessimist because then when bad things happen you expect them and when good things happen you're pleasantly surprised.  Not a real cheerful person do be around I imagine.
When I/we assume the worst outcome I think we're doubting God a little bit.  Sure there are times in our lives when we don't do so good at something, but that doesn't mean the sky is falling does it?  I could give you all kinds of quotes about failing, but I think we all know that the important part is getting back up again.  So instead of assuming the worst outcome I/we need to have a little more faith in ourselves and in God.  No matter the outcome of the class for me God is still going to be at work in my life and life will go on.  And I know that if I put the work in I will do just fine.  Plus, nothing ventured nothing gained right?  So the next time I want to assume the worst I need to remember to look at the big picture and to remember that optimism is always more enjoyable than pessimism.  God isn't finished with me yet...I'm certainly still a work in progress so ups and downs are an expected way of life. 

PS-I did ok on the test if you're wondering

No comments:

Post a Comment