Monday, March 25, 2013

Holy Week

Isaac asked me the other day if it was still winter.  I told him that according to the calendar it was spring.  He proceeded to tell me that the evidence outside would seem to indicate that the calendar is wrong.  Frankly, I couldn't argue with him.  Aren't we all eagerly anticipating the arrival of spring?  I personally can't wait until the warm weather hits, the grass begins to green, and we can start our spring sports with an eye towards summer break.  My thought through all of this is whether or not we are anticipating the celebration of Easter as much or more.
We have begun one of the most important weeks of the Christian year, but how many of us truly pause to consider what this week means to us.  It is easy to glide right through this week, maybe attend church on Easter Sunday, eat some Easter ham, and then go right back to waiting for spring to arrive.  If we do that, I believe we miss an important chance to reconnect and deepen our connection with the Spirit.  Will we take the time to ponder what it means that the creator of everything became a human, suffered, and died for us?  Will we take a minute to consider if we are living our lives in a way that honors that sacrifice?  Will we even be able to pause and take a breath from eating all the Easter candy to consider what we are celebrating that early Easter morning?  I certainly hope so.
I've been on a kick lately because I've discovered that I all to easily jump right from the celebration of Palm Sunday to the celebration of Easter Sunday.  Didn't I miss an important event somewhere in the middle there?  What about the trial, torture, and death of Jesus?  There were certainly some dark times during that week, but I don't like to think about that too much.  Why I ask?  Maybe it makes me feel uncomfortable thinking about how Jesus was treated.  Maybe I feel a little guilty that my sin may have been one of the reasons he had to endure that horrible experience.  Maybe, just maybe it makes this whole faith thing a little to real when I think that God died to show me just how much he loves me.  When I think about it that way, then I can't help but want to strengthen my connection and tap into that sort of love.  Wouldn't you?  There is no greater sacrifice then one's life, and our God showed us just how far he'll go to show us his love.  Are you willing to accept that love, and then do your absolute best to live a life to honor that love?  I hope so...I hope I am.  Let us celebrate that show of love this Holy Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment