Monday, June 9, 2014

God and baseball?

Over the weekend Isaac played in his first baseball tournament in Woodbine.  It was an 8U tournament and the boys played some of their best baseball of the season.  Warning...warning...father brag alert...Isaac took second place in the home run derby missing out on a tie for first by a foot.  All in all it was a great day.  The tournament offered the boys their most competitive baseball environment yet and this also translated to moms and dads cheering on the sideline.  I think I have a small glimpse into how God might feel watching us from time to time.  Let me explain.
As I sat and watched Isaac and the boys play I so badly wanted them to do well and succeed.  I thought about the practices they've had and the previous games and hoped they'd learn from past experience and would play well on Saturday.  I also was hoping that my son would remember the endless talks from dad about enjoying the game, being a good sport, no "Isaac" face, and to try your best and don't focus on the mistakes.  All the while I know there's nothing I can do about it right at that instant.  He's going to perform as he's going to perform and I can only watch right now.  It is kind of a helpless feeling.  I can encourage him from the sidelines, although not nearly as loud as his mom,  and cheer him on, but ultimately it's up to him right?  During the game he and his teammates are on their own.
Do you suppose our relationship with God is much the same way?  I'm not sure God ever feels helpless, but does he shake his head when we make mistakes like I shake my head when Isaac makes mistakes or doesn't act perfectly as I expect. ;-)  Does God get as frustrated as coaches and fans when we make silly mistakes or the same mistakes over and over again?  Does God want to pull God's hair out when no matter how many times you've been told not to do something you go ahead and do it anyway?  Does God want to throw in the towel when we ignore clear instructions that we've been taught and read in his word as I do when Isaac doesn't listen?  I sometimes imagine God as the big parent who wonders why his kids don't just ask for direction instead of blindly trying to find their way on their own.
God has to feel like a parent on the sideline of a game as he watches us go through life.  God hurts when we make mistakes, God shakes God's head when we don't ask for guidance or ignore what we've been told, and I imagine God might get a little angry when we clearly go against his will especially when we know better.  Is it any wonder when we get a cosmic spanking once in awhile to wake us from our unruly ways?  We have the perfect parent and all the instructions we need in order to live the fullest life we can, but like kids we think we know better and that we don't need help.  Maybe we should take our own advice and listen to God and stop thinking we know what's best for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment