Monday, October 5, 2009

To get shot or not...That is the question.

Stop me if you've heard this bit of information...the Swine (err I mean H1N1) flu virus is around. Jeez, you can't turn on a news cast or read a paper and not hear about someone or someplace dealing with the virus. Although I have noticed that since Omaha schools have started, and there wasn't some mass outbreak, they have backed off a little bit. I guess us little folk in SW Iowa don't matter quite as much! I've also heard that Tri-Center is dealing with the flu too, but so far nothing overly serious. And so here my wife and I sit trying to decide if we're going to get vaccinated against it or not. Being the parents of little Alex we are in the group that should get vaccinated so we don't give it to him, but is the vaccine safe? I suppose it is, but the flu doesn't seem all that worse than the seasonal flu. I guess we're trying to decided what risk is greater, Alex getting the H1N1 from us or Isaac, Tracy and I getting some sort of side effect from the vaccine. I think we're leaning toward vaccination.

All this hoopla has got me thinking about how much we try to protect ourselves from various threats. I've also been thinking that for all of this worry we could all be killed in some sort of accident at any time really. I know that sounds harsh, but honestly it's true. We like to think we have some sort of control over our lives and the world around us, and to some extent we can prevent some things, but I believe we don't have nearly as much control as we'd like to think we have. Sometimes we can take all the right precautions and something bad can still happen. Now I'm not writing this to scare people, all though I'm getting a little nervous, I'm writing this because I've begun to realize that more and more needs to be put into God's hands. The sooner we realize that God being in control is much better than us the sooner we'll be more at peace with life. Realizing that God is with us always should take a burden off our shoulders and allow us more peace of mind. We need to understand that we do what we can, and then let the rest be up to God.

The danger I think is in thinking then that if we do everything "right" that God will somehow protect us from bad things. If we just pray enough, go to church enough, give enough, and live a righteous enough life then God owes it to us to bless us and protect us from all harm. Has anyone lived a life free from suffering? Has anyone lived a life "good" enough to warrant God's love and ultimate protection? You and I both know the answers. We don't have faith in God in order to get what we want or to protect us from suffering. Believing isn't about; "what have you done for me lately God." Our faith is what helps us when the bad times come. Our faith is what helps us to be better human beings. Our faith is what compels us to make this world a better place for all. Our faith cannot be a me first thing.

The book of Job does a good job of reminding us that "perfect" faith (which isn't possible) isn't a guarantee against suffering. If anyone lived a good enough life for God to bless and protect it was Job, but we know what happened to him. Job is a book that reminds us that bad things happen for no apparent reason. God does allow suffering to take place. Job understood that he didn't deserve what what happening to him. He knew he wasn't being punished for some sin. Job's suffering just happened, and we don't' get a good reason except that God allowed it to happen. The story is telling us that everyone experiences difficult times, and that it is our belief in God and God's love for us that helps us get through those tough times. The challenge for us is to quit thinking that God owes us anything...the challenge is to think like we owe God everything!

PS-this seemed like a random stream of consciousness...sorry if it makes no sense I'll do better next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment