Monday, November 23, 2009

Being Thankful

The forgotten holiday...That's what my dad mentioned on Saturday when we were discussing plans around Thanksgiving. Is that what Thanksgiving has become? The holiday sandwiched between Halloween and Christmas? I understand why it happens. Halloween is a multibillion dollar holiday and Christmas is a multibillion dollar holiday. Thanksgiving isn't nearly the money maker so the consumer driven society tends to push it aside. But the Friday after is certainly a holiday! Just ask my wife! I think we need to be careful ourselves to make sure we don't forget Thanksgiving, and more importantly the spirit of the holiday. I know we've heard it so much, but we need to pause and truly give thanks for how lucky we have it.

As I was lying in bed this morning wondering if Alex(my 3 month old) was going to get up or not and I tried to name all the stuff I was thankful for. Lately I've just had this gnawing sense that I need to be more mindful of how good I truly have it. To that end, I thought I would earnestly try to name all the things I'm thankful for. As I was going along I found that I take a lot of things for granted...A LOT! For instance I woke up, which is a good start to any day, I was in a nice comfortable, warm bed. I had warm water instantly, I flipped on the TV to catch game highlights. Heck, when my first concern is who won the football game last night I know I have a lot to be thankful for. I had whatever I wanted for breakfast at hand and I had a job to go to. These are things to be thankful for and I haven't even left the house yet. Oh yeah I have a roof over my head. I have a great family, both immediate and far away. The list could literally go on and on...but how often do we actually feel thankful and grateful for all we have. Compared to much of the world I'm living as royalty and I hardly ever think of that thought when I'm complaining that my coffee is cold or not sweetened right! We truly have no idea how good we have it, and the one day we should truly try to be grateful is in danger of becoming Black Friday Eve and Thanksgiving will be forgotten.

I know I can never be grateful enough for what I have and what I've been given. The only way I can even try is to attempt to live the best life I can. Giving as much of myself as I can to help others. Trying to live the example that Jesus Christ gave us. Trying to be the best human being that I can. I know I'll fall short, but if I put for the honest effort and try to be better each time I fail then I'll truly be doing all I can to be say thanks for everything. Think of the difference in the world if we all tried to live like that. Will you try with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment