Monday, January 31, 2011

Finding Happiness

I heard a story about a little puppy that noticed that whenever he was happy, his tail wagged, so he thought he had discovered the secret to happiness. One day he shared the secret of happiness with an older dog. He said, "I have learned that the best thing for a dog is to be happy, and that happiness is in my tail. So I am going to chase my tail; and when I catch it, I shall have happiness. The old dog replied, "I too believe that happiness is a marvelous thing for a dog, and that happiness is in my tail. But I have noticed that whenever I chase my tail, it keeps running away from me; but when I go about my business, it follows me wherever I go.
The Bible has a lot to say about being happy. It doesn't say, "Happy are they who have a lot of money" or "Happy are they who live in big houses and drive fancy cars." It doesn't even say, "Happy are they who only have good things happening to them." What the Bible does say is, "Happy are the merciful, happy are the peacemakers, happy are the pure in heart." The Bible also says, "Happy is he who trusts in the Lord." Many of us are like the little puppy chasing his tail - trying to find true happiness that is always just out of our reach. What we need to do is learn that if we will just go about our business and trust in the Lord, happiness will follow us where- ever we go.

I found that story while doing some research for a sermon, and I don't know who to give credit too, just know it isn't my story!

I love the message though. We spend so much time and energy trying to achieve happiness. Of course we usually equate happiness with more money and more stuff. The trouble is we are never satisfied with more money or more stuff because there is always more. We certainly don't think of happiness in terms of being poor in spirit, meek, insulted, and being persecuted. Yet that is what Jesus is telling us in the beatitudes. It is important to remember that the beatitudes aren't a prescription to happiness, they are simply a reflection God's character and the God's realm. God blesses differently then the world does. God also knows that only true happiness can be found in him. Happiness can only be truly attained if we stop trying so darn hard to prove ourselves and/or ear God's love and stop and realize that God already loves us just the way we are. Once we get out of our own way, and realize that the Spirit working threw us is the key to happiness will we finally feel whole. We need to stop relying so much on ourselves, and rely more on God. Not only will we make better decisions, but we'll begin to see fruits of that union in our own lives. Begin the day with a simple prayer: God I need your guidance and presence in my life today...spend a minute or two quiet and listening...then thank God for another day and be aware of opportunities to experience the Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment