Monday, October 1, 2012

No one likes Nagging Nellie

In my sermon on Sunday I read a story about a church lady who constantly complained about everything in the church.  The story was at the same time funny and sad.  Funny at some of the things she complained about and sad because like any good story there is a lot of truth behind it.  My sermon was on our need to be people who build up the body of Christ and fellow humans and not be like the lady in the story who complained about everything.  I confessed that I sometimes get the urge to complain about a job someone is doing instead of offering to help.  I also confessed that I can be jealous of someone who takes a position that I used to hold and does the job well, or I find myself nitpicking at everything they do.  We are so quick to complain and nitpick instead of help and build up.  Why is that?  Why when someone is doing a job well do I catch myself having feelings of envy and jealousy?  Why isn't my first reaction one of joy and happiness for a job well done?  Am I the only one that finds it easier to tear down then build up? 
It's not like I run around complaining all the time and tearing people down because I can recognize that feeling of jealousy and the urge to nitpick and remember that's not how Jesus wants us to treat fellow brothers and sisters.  I can recognize that first urge and realize it is wrong, and most of the time I can offer help and/or be glad for a job well done.  My question is why the silly urge in the first place? 
We need to make sure we aren't just waiting for someone to fail.  We need to make sure we are doing our level best to help and build up the body of Christ.  Just because someone does something differently, or heaven forbid better then us, doesn't give us license to tear them down.  The world would be a terribly boring place if we all followed the same ideas wouldn't it?  If you find yourself having the urge to complain, nitpick, or tear someone down for the job they are doing take a hard look at yourself and the situation.  Can you give some gentle advice and help the person out?  Are the feelings coming from a place of jealousy and envy?  Think about how Jesus would have you respond.  Sometimes a little change is just what's need to spark some new energy.  We certainly don't want to be the ones to snuff out that spark.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog Brian. Honesty, humility, gratitude, and faith; all qualities I admire. I'll have to check back here more often...even if you bash my Huskers once in a while. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete