Monday, July 8, 2013

Southern California...was this work or play?

I just got back from the United Church of Christ's national meeting, which is called General Synod, that is held every two years.  I was selected as a delegate to represent the Iowa Conference and I reluctantly agreed to attend the meeting which was held in Long Beach, California.  You know, sometimes you just have to take one for the team!  It would suffice to say I was looking forward to the location and not necessarily the meetings and conference.  I was pleasantly surprised by both actually. 
Of course the weather was great.  It was a little unseasonably humid for southern California, but we suffered through it.  We arrived in Long Beach Thursday afternoon.  The conference didn't start until Friday afternoon so I took the chance to rent a car, cruise the Pacific Coast Highway, and also take in a Dodger game.  Once the conference started on Friday our free time was cut down so the rental had to go back.  I would be lying if I didn't say the pull of the beach and the convertible was stronger then sitting in the convention center for meetings, but I resisted the urge and decided to attend the conference.
There were about 800 delegates from around the country, and there were about 2000 visitors from around the country that came to General Synod.  The conference consisted of elections of our national officers, the recognition of some dignitaries, worship, and the work was the passing of resolutions.  The resolutions were debated in committees on Saturday and then brought to all the delegates for a vote.  Let's just say the voting on the resolutions is where the conference really bogged down.  The resolutions were anything from a statement denouncing bullying to a call for the UCC to divest itself from companies that profit from fossil fuels.  The process of amendments, voting, the voices for and the voices against worked a lot like any committee/meeting works so you can imagine it really got tiresome sometimes, but some good work was done.
What was really cool about General Synod was the chance to meet some new friends, to experience some different worship styles, to see God active in our wider church, and to be reminded that there is a lot of good stuff going on around the country and in our denomination.  Now, I may not agree with all the things the national UCC does, and I didn't agree with all the resolutions, but I do really enjoy the fact that the UCC really strives to the an inclusive and all loving church that welcomes all...even those they may disagree with that very policy.  I don't always do a good job of keeping our church connected to the wider church, and attending General Synod was a great reminder to me that God is at work in the wider church.
One final take away from General Synod was a reminder to me again to how blessed I am to be serving at the Minden United Church of Christ.  I listen to a lot of ministers talk about their struggles, and I was humbled at the way the Spirit has worked with our church and helped shape us into the church family we are.  I know I make a lot of mistakes, and I am thankful you are willing to work with me through those mistakes.  With the leading of the Spirit we will continue to be a light in this community and a great faith family together.

No comments:

Post a Comment