Monday, April 30, 2012

Fantastic Sunday!

Holy cow!  What a full Sunday worship we had.  Sunday school teacher recognition, 3rd graders got their Bibles, Sunday school kids sang, and we baptized baby Phyra.  I thoroughly enjoyed the worship, especially the sermon!  In all my preparations for worship though I forgot to tape the sermon...oh well I guess no one is perfect.  I love the energy and buzz the kids bring to the worship experience.  Following worship the family and I got to go to the Wolfe's for lunch.  The lunch was amazing by the way! 

It was during our lunch at the Wolfe's my kids provided me with another idea for a blog post.  James has this incredible set up at his house for playing racing games.  Graciously he allowed the boys to play on it.  Well, how do you think a 5 year old and a 2 year old shared?  You're wrong!  They are pastor's kids and they were perfect angels...ha...let's just say they didn't share.  How come kids innately know that when we are at someone else's house they can push the boundaries a little bit?  Is it because I am a little uneasy about spanking in front of other people?  Well, after Sunday I ain't uneasy any more!  Sharing isn't a strong suit for them right now anyway.  We have a 56 square foot sandbox and they still get in each other's way!  But, as I was reflecting Sunday afternoon on their sharing, and my sermon, a thought struck me...How do we share our time?

I talked about the first commandment on Sunday, "You shall have no other god's before me."  And we talked about how God wants to be THE priority in our lives, and we need God to be THE priority in our lives to be the person God wants us to be.  God needs to be the most important thing in our lives, and how we share/allocate our time reflects where God is in our lives.  God being first doesn't mean we spend the most hours in our lives worshiping, reading the Bible, and praying compared to other aspects of our lives.  That isn't practical unless we are monks.  What we do need to be careful of is our motivations.  Why do we do what we do?  For the glory of God or to get more money and things?  Do we put kids' games, recreation, work and stuff ahead of worship attendance, daily time with the Spirit, and any other chance we could connect with God?  Do we involve the Spirit in the decisions we make?  When we prioritize our lives is church and God the last to get any consideration?  That is what the first commandment means when it says we shall have no other god's before us.  So, have you connected with God today?

No comments:

Post a Comment