Monday, April 23, 2012

"I'm gonna miss this"

If my thinking is right I believe there is a country song with "I'm gonna miss this" in the title, or something similar to that in the song.  I don't listen to music much, so unless the song is played in a bump in or out on sports talk radio I don't hear it.  But I had one of those moments yesterday driving to town.  It was one of those times when I thought to myself..."I am going to miss this."  If you're tired of me telling stories about my children then you had better stop reading now...or at least skip a few paragraphs to where I try and tie this back into our faith life somehow.  I can't help it.  My boys provide a huge source of inspiration for me and some of my blogging and even sermons.

Here is the story.  The boys and I were riding to town in Arlyn's pickup truck (Thank you Arlyn) because we were dropping off some wood and picking up some more wood to complete their sandbox.  All three of us are sitting in the front seat and Isaac wants to listen to some music.  The music starts playing and I start bobbing my head and singing along, mostly because it annoys the boys, and we make a game out of me signing and them trying to get me to stop.  A particularly good song comes on and I turn my hat sideways and start bobbing my head and kind of dancing to the beat.  This time instead of trying to get me to stop, Isaac and Alex turn their hats backwards and start bobbing their heads and swaying to the music.  It was quite possibly the funniest thing ever.  The three of us with our hats backwards, sunglasses on, bobbing our heads and swaying to the music.  It was when I looked over at those two goofballs and saw what they were doing and I thought, "man I'm going to miss this."  After a few minutes reality set in.  Alex's foot touched Isaac and you'd have thought he dropped hot acid on him...ah brothers. 

What hit me was all too often moments like those pass and we don't take time to enjoy them.  We are so busy running the human race, quote taken from a movie, that we before we come up for air those times are gone.  How about the good times in our relationship with God?  When things are flowing along smoothly and life is good do we take time to thank God and slow down and cherish those moments?  Or, are you like me and when times are good do you tend to forget about God a little bit and truly take things for granted?  We had the opportunity to give something to a family who is struggling a little bit.  It was a very small gift, but it was something we could do to help out.  Tracy and I made sure that we stressed to Isaac what we were doing and to be very grateful for how good we have it.  I don't want him to take for granted how blessed he is, and I need to be better too in making sure I don't take for granted how blessed I am.  So let's not miss those opportunities to take a step back and soak in the moment.  Don't miss the opportunity to say thank you to God for the good times and the blessings.  I don't want to look back and regret missing some golden opportunities with family and with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment